Welcome to KYCPG.Org
The official website of the Kentucky Council on Problem Gambling, Inc. (KYCPG)
The site will being going through maintenance this weekend and my experience temporary down times.
On this website, visitors may learn about gambling addiction, determine whether they or someone they know may have a gambling problem, and obtain referral information to counselors or Gamblers Anonymous.
Connect with a Certified Gambler Counselor
• Initially published When It’s More Than a Game, an awareness brochure on addicted gambling, and It’s a Great Game, an awareness booklet. In 2008, KYCPG produced in cooperation with the Indiana Council on Problem Gambling an awareness brochure targeting charitable gaming. In 2010, KYCPG produced in cooperation with the MidCentral Alliance on Problem Gambling an awareness brochure targeting human resource and employee assistance professionals. KYCPG has a current brochure targeting youth, and a brochure recaps KYCPG member benefits.
• Encouragement of more treatment professionals accredited to counsel addicted gamblers and their families. Working in cooperation with the state Department of Behavioral Health, Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities, KYCPG has helped increase the number of certified counselors in Kentucky from one in 1998. With additional help from special corporate sponsors, KYCPG presented an Exam Preparation Workshops to encourage counselors to seek certification by the American Compulsive Gambling Counselor Certification Board (ACGCCB) in 2002 and 2015. The ACGCCB merged with the International Gambler Counselor Certification Board in 2016.
• Training programs on gambling awareness that can be presented to community organizations, schools and the gaming industry. In 2001, KYCPG debuted Lesson Plans on Gambling Behavior, a curriculum model aimed at middle and high school youth. A second curriculum — Choices. There Always IS a Right One! — debuted in 2005. Produced in cooperation with the Kentucky Lottery Corporation, the 50- minute addiction awareness program for middle and high school students is distributed at no cost to schools. Increasing self-help opportunities through cooperation with Gamblers Anonymous and Gam-Anon.
• The 1-800-GAMBLER helpline, providing crisis intervention and referral to treatment or self-assistance. Text and chat services were added in 2016.
• Outreach programs and an annual conference that educate treatment professionals and the general public.
Trained telephone counselors at River Valley Behavioral Health in Owensboro, Kentucky, are available 24-hours per day, 7-days per week to provide:
- Referral to Gamblers Anonymous;
- Referral to Certified Gambler Counselors;
- Distribution of Brochures, Booklets And Papers Offering More Details on Problem and Compulsive Gambling; or
- Crisis Response.
Gambling Can Be Addictive!
If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, please call or text 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537). All calls are toll-free and confidential. You also can chat with a counselor by clicking RVBH.com.